Friday, September 27, 2013

CrossFit - What Secret?

Alright y'all...I tried.  I tried to not blog about it.  I've tried to avoid the conversation with people.  I've refused to look at all the ignorant comments.  I understand CrossFit is newer (not really, but still to a lot of people). I understand a lot of people are drinking the hateraide. I get it, you HATE it.  OK so STOP F**KING TALKING ABOUT IT!! Here's the deal, we live in a time where everyone feels as though they HAVE to share their two sense.  So, share your thoughts and keep it moving.  You do NOT have to bash it into the ground.  There was an article floating around this weekend.  I am not going to say anything about the article except I think it is garbage.  You can read it for yourself if you'd like.  The gist is according to the author that CrossFit is the worst thing to ever happen.

Y'all know how I feel about CrossFit.  I love it.  I am in love with it and my box.  I love my coaches, my fellow Aspire members and our training. I love what it has done for my life, my health and my connections. I'm the strongest I have EVER been, in my entire life. I'm the happiest I have EVER been. Things are just coming together.  So here is what you should know...espeically before you try and make any "informed decision"....

1. TRY IT. If you have NEVER tried CrossFit, sit down. You do not have a say.  Period. I tell my students all the time, if you have not tried something (fruit, activity, sport, etc.) you can't have an informed decision on it.

2. SCALABLE. Yes, CrossFit is hard.  However, as a MILLION people have already tweeted, blogged or discussed, CrossFit is scalable to ANY PERSON! Hell even after I broke my ankle - the VERY NEXT DAY I was at my box.  I was doing the WOD.  CLEARLY I had to scale it and sub movements. The next 6 months I was still scaling and changing workouts.  We currently have a fellow member who is preggo (not to mention one of our coaches, Beth, who WODed and coached almost her whole pregnancy).  Everyone can do it.  You have to know what your limits are....which is perfect lead into....

3. PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY. I'm SICK of people trying to say that CrossFit will hurt you. No, it won't. Overtraining in ANY sport will hurt you.  PUSHING YOURSELF TOO FAR will hurt you.  You have to know form first and weight second. You have to know your body.  You have to listen to what it is saying.  I go 5-6xWeek -- but if my body is shot and I'm not feeling it - guess what that means? REST DAY.  And if I'm still not 100 by the next day, I take another rest day. If my ankle bugs me - or currently my shoulder is very tight - or it's not feeling right, you best believe I drop weight or don't do the metcon.  I know it is MY choice no matter what any coach or person says....

4. COACHES.  If you don't know - I have the world's best coaches. haha but seriously, I LOVE my box staff. There are bad coaches out there.  I get that and IF you want to have that discussion, I will gladly have it at any point at any time.  That's life.  There are bad teachers out there too, but I pride myself on not being one.  I also am TOO STOKED to become a L1 certified CrossFit coach. A lot of people who end up injured is due to lack of good coaching.  They have to know what they are doing, how to cue your position and how to teach form first. You have to be able to recognize good coaching and not good coaching.

5. HEALTH. This is the last thing for me.  Again, as I have already stated, I am in the best shape I have ever been in.  EVER.  I've played sports my whole life and have never been like I am now.  Broke my ankle 6 months prior to the Disney Dumbo Double Dare - guess what...still ran that race with NO training.  Just CrossFit under my belt because I wasn't cleared to run till right before.  Being fat can kill you.  Eating processed shit and crap every day can kill you.  CrossFit can NOT kill you if you do it smart.

Lastly...check out my girl Diva of Diva Richards Fitness - she's a trainer, CrossFit athlete and coach.  She pretty sums up what I wrote.....

No comments:

Post a Comment